Please Note: If you are a student or parent user, you must contact the Office of Financial Aid at the institution the student attends for assistance. These articles are for school use only, they are not intended for student or parent use/help.
After a student has e-signed their document, they are presented with a step to request parent signature.
For Federal ISIRs, the parent must pass the check with the Social Security Administration on their Name, DOB, and SSN for the student to get the e-sign option. If at least one parent does not pass the check, the student is automatically opted out of e-sign. If the parent does not have a SSN and enters all zeros for the parent SSN on the FAFSA, the check with SSA is not performed and the parent is not eligible for e-signature. If only one parent passed the check with the SSA, the student may only send the e-sign request to the parent who passed the SSA check.
For Cal DREAM ISIRs, the parent is able to have all zeros for their ssn and create an account, as long as they can provide all required information and match to the Cal DREAM ISIR.
Please note: The parent cannot create an account or view documents for e-signature until the student sends the e-signature request. If the parent is unable to create an account or does not see any documents to sign after logging into their account, check the student view tab for the task requiring e-signature to make sure the student has sent the request. If you see the text "Student has not initiated a signature request.", the student has not sent the request to the parent.
- The student selects the request button
The request parent e-signature screen opens. The student must:
- Select which parent they would like to sign
- StudentForms only presents the parent(s) listed on the FAFSA for the e-signature request
- Parent must have passed the check with the SSA check with a value of 4 to be eligible for e-signature
- If parent does not pass the SSA check, the student does not have the option to send the request for e-signature to the parent
- If neither parent has passed the SSA check, the student would not be allowed to e-sign their document and must download, print, sign (both student and parent), and then upload back into StudentForms.
- Enter the parent's email address
- Email must be different than student's email address
- Confirm the parent’s email address
- Select the Send Request button
- Once the request has been sent to the parent, the student is not able to edit their form unless they cancel the request
- To cancel the request the student selects the cancel request button
- The student can edit their request by selecting the edit request button
Only the parent that the student selects to send the request to is able to create an account or e-sign a document. i.e. if the student selects parent 1, only parent 1 is able to see the document to e-sign.
After the request is sent to the parent:
- The parent receives an email containing a link to create an account.
- The school may want to review the parent e-sign request email to provide instructions for parents who have already created an account.
- After the parent clicks the link they are taken to the parent create account screen.
After a parent account is created or the parent logs in, the parent has the opportunity to review the document.
The form not approved and opt out of e-sign buttons are informational only.
- The form not approved, lets the parent know if there are corrections needed, the student must make the corrections.
- The opt out of e-sign button lets the parent know if they do not want to e-sign, their student must also opt out of e-sign.