Modified on: Thu, 21 May, 2020 at 9:59 AM
Beginning with the 2014-2015 FAFSA for persons who are married filing separately and one spouse does not file. The guidance states that the income earned from work of the non-filer must be added to the AGI of the tax filer and reported in the AGI on the FAFSA. The section from AVG Chapter 2 is below.
SudentForms has added a process to identify an independent student or the parents of a dependent student, where this situation applies. StudentForms displays the AGI Calculation box in the file review tab based on the tax options chosen by the student. The school user must choose which option applies to the tax filing status of the student and/or parents.
The school user has the option to view the documents that are used in the AGI calculation. By selecting the view documents button, a document screen opens in a new tab or window depending on the browser used. To get back to the AGI calculation modal the school user must close the tab or window.
Once the school user determines the correct AGI based on documentation they choose one of the options presented and save. If neither of the amounts are correct, based on the financial aid office’s policy the school user may reject the documents to have the student correct any issues or override in the full file review section.
Additional information may be found in the FSA handbook:
2019-2020 AVG Chapter 2 Page AVG-14 2019-2020 AVG Chapter 2
File Review - Dependency Questions/Household Members Discrepancy Red Box
Based on guidance in the 2015-2016 AVG, when the relevant dependency questions on the FAFSA do not match the household size, the school should update the relevant dependency questions on the FAFSA to match what was verified.
When the relevant dependency questions do not match the relationships of the members in the household grid on the household form there will be a red box above file review. This box is a notification for the school user. The school user will need to follow their current school policy to determine if:
- An update is made to the relevant dependency question answers on the FAFSA based on documentation that has been provided
- The school requires the student to correct their household form
- The school requests additional information from the student
The school user has the ability to review the household form by selecting the View Household Form button.
The notification box will appear in the following situations:
- If on the FAFSA the student answers Yes to the question Is student married? and does not include a person in the household grid with the relationship of spouse
- Please Note: If the student's marital status is Separated the red box will appear since the dependency question is student married should still be yes and they would not include a spouse in the household grid. In this case an update to the dependency question may not be needed.
- If on the FAFSA the student answers Yes to the question Have children you support? and does not include a person in the household grid with the relationship of child
- If on the FAFSA the student answers Yes to the question Dependents other than children/spouse? and does not include a person in the household grid with the relationship of other
Corrections to the relevant dependency questions would be made through full file review if the school policy is to update based on documentation provided by the student.
Additional information may be viewed in the 2015-2016 AVG chapter 4, page 84-85 under the household size section.
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.