The system specifically supports two appeal types for Professional Judgment (PJ) - Appeal to Dependency Status and Appeal of the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) for financially related special circumstances. In both cases the student will contact the institution regarding the appeal and the appeal type will be requested by a school user with the appropriate permissions. The student will then be able to complete an appeal form, electronically sign the appeal and upload supporting documentation for the appeal before submitting the appeal. A school user can then review the documents and appeal and render an appeal decision in the system. The system will then include the transaction in the ISIR correction process as appropriate.
This document provides an overview of the PJ process in the StudentVerification system. It assumes that configuration of the appeal functionality, customization of instructions and communication to the student have already been completed and that the appropriate school users have been assigned permissions to view and manage the appeals. For more information on setup please see the following related articles:
The following steps are involved in processing an appeal for Professional Judgment (PJ):
- Request for PJ by a school user
- Completion of PJ Appeal form by student
- Appeal Review by school user
- ISIR Correction
Request for PJ
- If the student has not been selected for verification and it is necessary for the appeal, select Request Verification first and then request Professional Judgement
- For additional instructions please see the How to Create a Professional Judgment Appeal article.
Completion of Appeal PJ Form
- Dependency Override must be completed and new ISIR received before verification is completed to insure that the appropriate verification requirements are in place.
- Verification must be completed prior to an EFC appeal so that the baseline information for the appeal is present and reviewed prior to the EFC appeal evaluation.
- For additional detail on the steps completed by the student please see How Students Complete Appeal for Professional Judgment article.
- Document review of all documents
- Update information on ISIR as appropriate
- Render a decision on the appeal
- Enter supporting comments for the decision
- For additional details please see PJ File Review article.
- For details on processing ISIR correction please see Process ISIR Corrections article.