Professional judgment appeals can be requested through the system for students wishing to appeal their dependency status and/or their estimated family contribution (EFC) by school users with appropriate permissions from the Account screen. 

  • Navigate to the Account page or search directly for the student from the search bar and navigate to the student's record. 
  • Click on Request PJ from the action list on the left of the screen. 

  • Select the appropriate Award Year for the request. The student have an ISIR record for the selected award year in order to have a PJ transaction.

If the student is a dependent student two questions will be presented. Independent students will only have the option for financial change.
  • Select all the apply to the student. 

- Does this appeal involve a dependency override?

- Does this appeal involve a financial change?


  • A tracking group will default for each question based on the award year and PJ type. This value is displayed to the student but can be changed to match your institution's convention for tracking professional judgment requests. 
  • For each question  select all appropriate special circumstances supporting the request. These will be presented to the student during completion of the appeal form.

Please Note: The list of special circumstances is a configurable option and your institution's values may vary. 

  • Click Complete to create the PJ request.

After selecting the complete button, the transaction is opened on the student's account. If the school has the PJ communications turned on and the student has created an account they will receive a notification that a PJ transaction has been opened for them.   If the school is requesting the PJ prior to the student creating an account, the school must notify the student to log into StudentForms, the communications from StudentForms only get sent after the student has created an account.