Most people only have one layer of security – their password – to protect their account. With Two-Step authentication, an additional piece of information - a one time use security code - is sent to an email address or cell phone the user has defined. This way if a password is compromised the account is still not accessible. CampusLogic Two-Step authentication process can be set up for different user groups - students, parents, and/or staff. Assuming your institution has configured the feature the following outlines how the process works. Institutions can choose to use Two-step authentication with single sign-on (SSO) or direct sign-on (DSO) and can activate it even when general texting/SMS functionality is not active.
When a user creates an account the following prompt will be provided:
- The user then selects the preferred method to receive the one-time use code for authentication Email or SMS Text, then selects save.
- The student enters either email or phone number dependent upon option chosen in previous step, then selects save.
- The system will automatically generate the one-time use code and send it to the designated email or to the user's cell phone:
- The user enters the code and clicks Verify.
The code sent to the student is good only for one login and will expire based on the Institution's configuration. The default is 20 minutes unless otherwise defined.
Based on your institution's configuration the user may have the ability to identify the computer or mobile device as "Trusted" and subsequent logins will not require the second step in the process. Trusted devices do require re-authentication every 6 months.
If the code expires before the user has logged in the user can obtain another code by clicking Resend Code.
Managing Two-Step Preferences
Once in the settings screen, the user selects Two-Step Authorization on the left or the edit button for Two-Step Communication.
From the profile settings the user can:
- Change the preferred Communication Type (email or SMS)
- Remove Trusted devices from their profile
Once all changes have been made, the user selects Save Settings.