Please Note: If you are a student or parent user STOP and contact the office of Financial aid at the student's college/university for assistance. The information below is intended for the Office of Financial aid users only. It will not provide information for the student or parent user. If you are a student or parent user and provide feedback, you will receive a response to contact the Office of Financial Aid at the student's college/university.
There may be several reasons why a parent is receiving an error message when trying to create an account in StudentForms.
The above error message may indicate several issues.
- Student has not initiated request
- Parent not selected to e-sign is trying to create an account
- Parent is entering incorrect information into the confirm parent or confirm student sections
Student Has Not Initiated Request
The parent of a dependent student is unable to create an account until the student sends the e-signature request to the parent. Additionally, if the student cancels the e-signature request the parent is not able to create an account.
The school user may check if the request has been sent to the parent by reviewing the student view tab on the student's transaction page in StudentForms. If the text Student has not intiated a signature request, the parent is not able to create an account.
On the student side, they would select the Request button to initiate the request. For more information on the e-sign request, please see Parent - E-Sign Request
Parent not selected by student to E-Sign
Only the parent that the student requested to e-sign is able to create an account, they must use the information as reported on the FAFSA for the parent the request was sent to.
- For example, if student sends request to parent 1, then the parent must use the information for parent 1 as it is reported on the FAFSA to create the parent account.
The school user can view the parent the student requested to e-sign in the student view tab on the student's transaction page.
The student may choose to cancel the request to send to the other parent to create an account or the parent the request was sent to, may create an account using their information.
Parent is entering incorrect information into the confirm parent or confirm student sections
The parent must confirm the parent information and student information exactly as it appears on the student's FAFSA. The school may take the following steps to resolve the issue:
- Make sure that the student has requested the parent e-signature
- Make sure that the parent trying to create the account is the one the student selected to e-sign the form
- Request a screen shot of the confirm parent information section and confirm student information sections from the parent
- Once the school has the screenshots, open the ISIR PDF in StudentForms
- The PDF of the ISIR may help the school identify extra spaces have been entered on the FAFSA between multiple names or suffixes.
If an error still occurs, please have the StudentForms support admin create a ticket including the student information and screenshot(s) to have support research the issue.