CampusLogic contains two specific types of student levels used to help institutions manage access and participation in the various products. The student account is the highest level, created by a student through any of the student facing products (StudentForms, ScholarshipUniverse, or StudentAdvisor). Having an account means the student can login to any of the products that the institution is currently using. A verified student record acts as a proxy for students who have not yet created an account - institutions can load these students and take certain actions for them before they create an account, such as awarding them through ScholarshipUniverse. Once a student has created an account, the existing verified student record will be merged into the account.
Students with Accounts
Students will create accounts based on how the institution is setup, either through Single Sign-On (SSO) or Direct Sign-On (DSO). SSO institutions provide links in the student portal that navigate to the various CampusLogic products and pass the students' credentials as they navigate into a product, allowing them to login. The first time a student navigates into any of the CampusLogic products, the credentials help the student create their account seamlessly.
For institutions setup as DSO, students are required to create their account via a login page. From here they must create a username and provide key credentials to allow them to create their account. The key credentials must match a verified student record imported by the institution into PlatformManagement, or match to an Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR) the institution has uploaded into StudentForms. Once an account is created, a student may login to the various products using the same username and password across all products. DSO institutions can have their students create their account one of two ways:
- the student creates an account in ScholarshipUniverse, SponsoredScholar, or StudentAdvisor and matches to the key identifiers provided in the verified student record
- the student creates an account in StudentForms and matches to the key identifiers on an ISIR imported by the institution
Verified Student Records
Verified student records serve many purposes:
- Verified student records manage who is allowed to create an account through the DSO process.
- Verified student records work as a stand-in for students who have yet to create an account.
- Verified student records can manage which students (with or without an account) are allowed to participate in certain features; this includes:
- allowed to be included in any auto-match results for direct award scholarships in ScholarshipUniverse
- allowed to be awarded scholarship funding in ScholarshipUniverse
- allowed to be included in any outreach notifications in StudentAdvisor
- NOTE: allowing the management of these records gives institutions the control to disassociate students who may have previously created an account and are no longer attending the institution
DSO institutions must generate verified student records in order for students to create accounts by matching to the key identifiers given in the records. This prevents any person not associated to the institution from creating an anonymous account and having access to features within a product. Institutions need to manage a process to ensure new students are having a verified record created so that they may create their account and access CampusLogic products. A verified student record can be generated one of two ways:
- imported via the Verified Students import
- imported via the School SIS Data import
- the advantage of using the School SIS Data import is that if an institution is utilizing SIS data for ScholarshipUniverse and/or StudentAdvisor there isn't a need to run both imports
An institution can take advantage of verified students by using them as proxies before the student creates an account. For example, in ScholarshipUniverse the SIS data can be used to auto-answer student questions, which in turn allows them to be included in the auto-match roster for direct award scholarships. Students can also be awarded, but if the scholarship requires acceptance and/or a thank you letter the student will need to create an account in order to complete the action. In StudentAdvisor, verified students can be found and included in Outreach notifications.
To review and manage verified student records, Admin users can access the roster from PlatformManagement > General > Verified Students. There they can make updates to a record before the student creates an account and they can deactivate/re-activate the record.
Managing Activation Status
When a student creates an account the verified student record is merged into the account, but still has some functionality outside of the account control. Most notably is the inclusion of the auto-match functionality in ScholarshipUniverse and the outreach notifications in StudentAdvisor.
Institutions can manage the students access via the user profile page. Here they may manage multiple aspects of the student's account, such as unlocking an account (if a DSO student has tried logging in unsuccessfully multiple times), force resetting an account password, or managing their account status. Deactivating an account will prevent students from logging into the CampusLogic products. It does not prevent schools from taking further actions for the student as needed - examples include file review in StudentForms, reviewing applications or awarding scholarships in ScholarshipUniverse, or sending a student an outreach notification from StudentAdvisor. It only prevents the student from accessing the products. Institutions can manage student accounts one of two ways:
- manually deactivate/re-activating the account from the user profile page
- importing the Deactivate User Data import (for bulk updates)
Likewise, schools can manage the verified student record and prevent the student from being included in features such as the direct award auto-match functionality in ScholarshipUniverse or being included in in an outreach notification in StudentAdvisor. If a verified student record is deactivated, it does not prevent the student from logging into a CampusLogic product. Institutions can manage verified student records one of three ways:
- manually deactivating/re-activating in the Verified Students page in PlatformManagement
- importing the Verified Students import with the deletion flag
- importing the Archive Student Answers import
- this import is used to remove student answers so that they are no longer processed in the ScholarshipUniverse auto-match functionality; therefore it is assumed that the verified student record should be deactivate as well if the institution is not planning on considering the student's answers
Verified student status and account status are mutually exclusive. Where the student account level manages a student's access to CampusLogic products, verified student record manages certain functions that a student may be a part of (with or without an account).