The ISIR Imports page allows an institution to manually import and review Institutional Student Information Records (ISIRs) in StudentForms. California institutions can also manage California DREAM ISIRs, when enabled. Along with seeing each file imported into the system, an institution can review the number of new students added to the system by the file, the number of duplicate or invalid records by file, and the students who need action taken outside of StudentForms.
For schools who have integrations with CLConnect, they would drop their ISIR files into the ISIR Import File on their network and the ISIRs are pulled in on the schedule specified by the school.
Users with the Admin role can review and import ISIRs under ISIRs > ISIR Import.
ISIR files must be in the same format as they are received in the SAIG mailbox. StudentForms uses the EDE technical reference ISIR file layout. If you are a Colleague school who uses the DOEI process (you are getting your files from the FA.RECEIVE.DIR to import into StudentForms) and receive an error when importing your ISIR files, please contact your Customer Success Manager to enable a setting for ISIR processing.
The school admin should import all ISIR file message classes into StudentForms, including:
- Most common message classes
- IGSAXXOP (IGSAXXBK)
- IGCOXXOP (IGCOXXBK)
- IDSAXXOP (IDSAXXBK)
- IGSGXXOP (IGSGXXBK)
- ISRFXXOP (ISRFXXBK)
- Additional message classes received
- IDAPXXOP (IDAPXXBK)
- IDNRXXOP (IDNRXXBK)
- IDREXXOP IDREXXBK)
- IGAAXXOP (IGAAXXBK)
- IGNRXXOP (IGNRXXBK)
- IGREXXOP (IGREXXBK)
- XX is the two digit trailing award year, i.e. 2021-2022 would be 22, 2022-2023 would be 23.
It is considered best practice to load files to StudentForms prior to loading into the SIS. This ensures that when notifications are sent by the institution to students about verification/C Code requirements, the student's ISIR is available in the application.
Some institutions do choose to concatenate their ISIR files into one file for import into both the SIS and StudentForms. If this is the option that you choose there are a couple of things to keep in mind.
- Format of the ISIR records must be exactly as it is in the files delivered by ED
- There cannot be any blank lines in the file
- The file should not contain any header or footers between ISIR records
- Each file should contain only 1 aid year, so if you are receiving ISIRS for 2 years (2021-2022 and 2022-2023) you will create two files for use in StudentForms
Please note: The file uploaded into StudentForms should be in the same format that is received from the Department of Education, no changes to the file are required. If your student information system (SIS) or Financial Aid Management System (FAMS) makes any changes to the ISIR file, please ensure there is either a header in the file or a blank line before the first student record.
ISIR Import Management
The ISIR Imports page is a summary of all of the ISIRs imported into StudentForms, including vital information such as when it was imported, by whom, for which award yearm, and the import type. Institutions also have the ability to track how many new ISIR records are found for students, the number of duplicate or invalid records, and those that need school intervention to resolve any issues outside of StudentForms.
The ISIR Imports grid displays the following information:
- Import Date: converted to a user's browser time
- Status: current status of an import ISIR file
- Processing status indicates that the file is currently being processed. Larger file take more time to process.
- Active status indicates that the ISIR has been fully processed and all new ISIRs are ready for students to link to, or updates to current transactions will now be reflected
- Invalid File status means that the file loaded does not meet the ISIR format criteria (see the ISIR Format section)
- File Name
- New: a count of ISIRs that have successfully been loaded into StudentForms. Students who may need to be notified to create an account in StudentForms will have student actionable verification or c codes indicated in the verification/c codes column. The comment code numbers are a link to a short description of the comment codes.
- Duplicate: a count of ISIRS that have been previously loaded into StudentForms and are not identified as being a subsequent transaction (i.e. ISIR transaction 01 was loaded into StudentForms twice)
- Missing Info: a count of ISIRs where one or more of the identifying fields (first name, last name, DOB, SSN) have been left blank on the ISIR (usually occurs with student who file a paper FAFSA - the institution should follow up with the student to have them correct the issue with their FAFSA)
- Invalid: a count of ISIRs where invalid text has been entered in any of the ISIR fields or students that have an unsuccessful match with the Social Security Administration for their name, DOB or SSN.
- Students who appear on this report will not be able to create an account in StudentForms until they clear up the issue with the Social Security Administration and receive an ISIR with a successful SSA match.
- The school must resolve the SSA match issues outside of StudentForms and receive a valid ISIR with the SSN Match Flag of 4 and not c codes or rejects for issues with the SSA Match.
- Actionable: a count of ISIRs that contain a comment code that will be handled and resolved internally by the institution. The student is not presented with a task for the comment code. The comment code numbers in the comment code column may be selected to bring up a short description of each comment code.
- Award Year
- Imported By: name of the user who uploaded the ISIR file
- Import Type: indicates whether the file is a Federal ISIR or California DREAM ISIR
Institutions can manually load ISIRs as needed. StudentForms has validation and logic in place to ensure the correct file is being uploaded.
- click on the "Import Federal ISIR" button to begin loading an Federal ISIR
- select the ISIR file from your Windows browser
- click Open
- click the "Import DREAM App" button to begin loading a Federal ISIR
- select the ISIR file from your Windows browser
- click Open
- Note: If your institution processes California DREAM applications but this option is not currently available, please contact your Customer Success Manager to enable this ISIR process
Once the file is selected for upload the file will be placed in a processing status. At this point the file will continue to process, the user does not need to stay on the page.
In order to review individual ISIR information, institutions must search for the specific student whose ISIR needs review. Within the student profile modal, under the ISIRs tab, the institution can choose which ISIR to review. This will open a new tab with the pdf version of the ISIR selected.
- search student
- click on the ISIRs tab within the student profile modal
- select the ISIR transaction record to view