In StudentForms transactions that require review to complete the transaction and move the transaction status to verified are the Verification and Appeals transaction types. Verification, PJ EFC, and PJ DO have a file review section to allow for updates to the ISIR. All other transaction types do not have a file review section and corrections to the ISIR may not be made from StudentForms from these transaction types.
Admin and Admin (Limited) users have the ability to complete file reviews on Verification and all Appeal transaction types.
Individual user roles have access to complete file review on the specified transaction type:
- School FAO users may complete file review on Verification transactions
- School PJ users may complete file review on PJ EFC and PJ DO transactions
- School SAP users may complete file review on SAP transactions
- School EFA users may complete file review on EFA transactions
- School COA users may complete file review on COA transactions
- Custom Transaction user may complete file review on custom transactions
- Transaction Page Overview
- File Reviews
- Smart File Review
- Full File Review
- Disregard Transaction Button
- Discrepancy Boxes
- Completing Review
- Admin Override Button
Transaction Page Overview
After the school user has pulled up a student by either using Search>Transactions>View or Workflow>Get Next/View All the school user is on the Transaction page. The transaction page allows the school user to complete document review, request additional documentation, complete file review, and take other actions on the student's tasks.
- Click the Comment Codes link to view a short description of the comment codes on the student's ISIR (verification transaction only)
- Click the Review tab to view the document review grid and file review grid
- Click the Student View tab to view the student's tasks, upload documents on behalf of the student and waive/unwaive tasks
- Click the Add+ button to request additional information from the student
- Click the Smart File Review dropdown to switch to Full File review (Verification transaction only)
In StudentForms there are two types of file review. The verification transaction type has both the Smart file review and the Full file review. The PJ EFC and PJ DO transaction types have the Full file review. Both types of file review allow the school user to make corrections to ISIR fields from StudentForms.
StudentForms allows ISIR corrections to steps 1-5 of the ISIR/FAFSA. Please review the following solution article for information on corrections that need to be made outside of StudentForms. Corrections to process outside of StudentForms
Once the complete review/approve button has been clicked, an ISIR correction file will appear on the ISIR corrections screen.
Smart File Review
Smart file review contains the ISIR fields that are part of verification, reject code, or c code resolution. Smart file review is a grid that compares the ISIR value to the document value entered during document review.
- ISIR Fields column displays the ISIR fields that are part of verification, reject code, or c code resolution
- The ISIR fields use the names from the EDE Technical Reference in Smart File Review. Please see the following solution article for the names used on the FAFSA/ISIR. Document Review - Document Value Field Names/ISIR Field Names Translation
- ISIR Value displays the value for the ISIR field on the most recent ISIR imported into StudentForms with the highest transaction number
- Document Value is the value entered by the school user during document review
- Document Type is the document that the Document Value appeared on
- Multiple Documents may appear in this column if more than one document has the document value
- Status is the result of comparing the ISIR Value to the Document Value
Smart File Review Status Column
The statuses that appear in the Status column are determined by comparing the ISIR Value to the Document Value. The ISIR Value displayed is always from the most recent ISIR imported into StudentForms with the highest transaction number. The Document Values are entered during document review, automatically populated from web forms, or populated using OCR for certain tax documents.
In most cases, the status will automatically populate to either match or ISIR correction. An additional option of ignore may be selected from the dropdown menu for each ISIR field if the ISIR correction is not required.
In some cases, the status cannot be determined due to conflicting values entered for the same ISIR field. When the Status and Document Value columns are blank, the school user will need to review and determine which document value to use.
Smart File Review Statuses
- Incomplete indicates that the document review has not been completed or the document has not been received
- Blank indicates that there are multiple values for the same ISIR field entered during document review. School users would click on the Multiple Documents link to view the document values entered
- Match indicates the ISIR value matches the document value entered during document review
- ISIR Correction indicates that the ISIR value does not match the document value and an ISIR correction will be generated once filed review is completed
- Ignore indicates that the school user has manually changed the status to ignore or during document review, an optional field was not answered
- The * indicates that the status was overridden from the default or chosen from the multiple documents link
- The F indicates that a change was made in the Full File review
Smart File Review Status is Blank
In StudentForms document values may appear on multiple documents within the student's transaction. For example, the ISIR fields for first and last name appear on both the verification webform, certain tax documents, citizenship documents, and other documents. If during document review a school user enters different values for the same ISIR field both the Document Value and Status column will be blank to indicate a conflict between document values.
The school user would review the values entered during document review to determine if the conflict is a data entry error or if there are differences between documents.
- Click Multiple Documents in the Document Type column to review the document values entered during document review.
- Response Value is the document value entered during document review
- Document Type is the document where the response value was entered during document review
- Status shows the comparison for each individual document
- If the conflict is due to a data entry error, the school user can Click Cancel then correct the document value entered during document review.
- If there is a conflict between document values, the school user would determine the correct document value to use for file review and change the status to ignore for the incorrect value.
- If additional information is required to clear any conflicts the school user may either reject the documents in question or request additional documentation.
After all incorrect Response Values are ignored and only one Response Value is indicated with Match or ISIR Correction, the main Response Value(top row of the grid) and Status will populate.
- Click the Save button to save status choices and return to Smart File Review
- Click the Cancel button to return to the Smart File Review without saving status choices
The * indicates that the value of the Status column was overridden using the Multiple Documents link.
Full File Review
Full file review allows the school user to correct ISIR field information that is not included in smart file review as part of verification, reject code, or c code resolution. The school user may correct information that appears in Steps 1-5 of the FAFSA/ISIR. Additionally, if the school user needs to confirm an existing value on the ISIR or change a value to blank, this is done in full file review. Steps 1-5 are:
- Step One - The Student
- Step Two - Student and Spouse Tax Information
- Step Three - Dependency Questions
- Step Four - Parent Information
- Step Five - Student Household and Benefits
StudentForms is unable to make corrections to any other sections of the FAFSA/ISIR. Additionally, there are some corrections that must be made outside of StudentForms. Full file review is available in the Verification, PJ EFC and PJ DO transaction types and are the only transaction types that ISIR corrections may be made from in StudentForms. Other transaction types do not have the Full File review and are unable to make ISIR corrections from those transactions.
School users can navigate to full file review by either Search Student>Transaction or Workflow>Get Next button/View All button. If in the verification transaction, the school user would need to select Full File review from the dropdown above the smart file review grid. PJ transactions only have Full File review.
- Click the dropdown to move between steps 1-5 on the FAFSA/ISIR sections
- Step One - The Student
- Step Two - Student and Spouse Tax Information
- Step Three - Dependency Questions
- Step Four - Parent Information
- Step Five - Student Household and Benefits
- Click Edit for the ISIR field you need to make a change to
- Each field is edited separately
- After opening the ISIR field for editing the school user may do the following:
- Click the dropdown to select an option for ISIR fields that have specific acceptable values
- Enter Value for ISIR fields that are text, numeric, or alphanumeric acceptable values
- Click the Confirmed checkbox if the ISIR value needs to be confirmed
- This creates a correction with the exact ISIR value on the most recent ISIR with the highest transaction number imported into StudentForms
- Click the Blank checkbox to correct an ISIR value to blank
- Clicking Save(checkmark button) saves the edit
- Once the complete review or approved button is clicked a correction file is created with corrections made in both full file review and ISIR fields showing as ISIR correction status in smart file review.
- Clicking the Cancel button does not save edits and closes the ISIR field editing
After edits have been saved, if needed the corrections can be removed by clicking the Remove button.
Corrections made in full file review to ISIR fields that are also part of Smart File review will be indicated in the Smart File review grid with an F.
Disregard Transaction Button
- School user requests a transaction to be opened for the student without any student actionable tasks. If the empty transaction is submitted (Finish button clicked) the Disregard Transaction button is available.
- The student has a student actionable task and prior to the student submitting the task, a subsequent ISIR is imported into StudentForms that removes all student actionable tasks for the transaction. Once the Finish button is clicked, this also creates an empty transaction causing the Disregard Transaction button to appear.
Note: If a school chooses to use the Disregard Transaction button, this sets the transaction to an ignored status and it cannot be re-opened by a school admin using the Admin Override button. The school may use the Request Information button to add documents to the transaction and re-open into a re-collecting status. A FreshDesk ticket may also need to be opened with your CSM to have the transaction re-opened.
StudentForms has additional checks it completes based on tax document types submitted, the information provided in the taxes section and the relationship of members in the household of the Verification form, and certain dependency questions on the FAFSA.
When the student is completing the FAFSA if they indicate that they(or their parents) are married, filed taxes separately and one spouse does not file taxes, the student is instructed to take the income earned from work of the non-filer and add it to the AGI of the tax filer.
Please see the following from the AVG in Chapter 2:
In the taxes section of the Verification web form, if the student indicates one of the following options, the school user will see the AGI Calculation box during file review.
Note: If the school has the setting to Allow Upload of Tax Return enabled, the options below will reference tax transcripts/return.
Independent Students Taxes Section:
- I am married; I was required to file taxes but my spouse was not required to file taxes for 20XX
- I will upload a copy of my 20XX tax transcripts from the IRS, my spouse had income earned from work in 20XX
- I am married; my spouse was required to file taxes but I was not required to file taxes for 20XX
- I had income earned from work in 20XX, I will upload a copy of my spouse's 20XX tax transcripts from the IRS
Parent Taxes Section:
- My parents are married or unmarried and living together. One parent filed taxes, the other was not required to file taxes for 20XX
- Parent 1 will upload tax transcripts from the IRS, Parent 2 had income earned from work in 20XX
- Parent 1 had income earned from work in 20XX, Parent 2 will upload tax transcripts from the IRS
- Click the Agi Calculation button to open the AGI Calculation Selection modal
- The school user would determine who the tax filer is based on the documentation received.
- Click the View Documents button to view the documents submitted by the student if needed.
- This opens the Tax Summation Document List as a separate tab. The school user may click the document links to view the documents.
- Click the Option to indicate the tax filer
- Click the Save button to save the option selected and return to the Review screen
- Click the Cancel button to discard choice and return to the Review screen
Once an option is chosen, StudentForms automatically adds the income earned from work of the non-tax filer to the AGI of the tax filer. This places Non-Tax Filer Summation in the Document Type column of the Smart File review grid. The user may go in and change their option if needed later.
Select Document Set
Within StudentForms there are different document types for tax documents based on filing separately or filing jointly. If a school user requests tax documents that conflict within StudentForms, the Select Document Set warning box is displayed. Please review the solution article for more information on tax documents hierarchy and summation.
Note: The Smart File review is also hidden until a document set is selected when this box appears.
- Click the Select Document Set button to open the Select Document Set modal
- Click the Options dropdown to select if the student/parent filed individually or filed jointly
- Click the Save button to save choice and return to the Review screen
- Click the Cancel button to close the modal without choosing an option and return to the Review screen
Once an option is chosen, the Smart File review becomes available. The school user may return to make a different selection if needed.
View Household Form
StudentForms completes a check between the relationships of household members entered in the Verification form with three dependency questions on the FAFSA. The dependency questions used are Is Student Married?, Have Children You Support?, and Have Legal Dependents Other Than Children/Spouse?. This check is based on information from the FSA Handbook in the AVG Chapter 4 in the Household Size Documentation section:
When the relevant dependency questions do not match the relationships of the members in the household grid on the verification form the View Household Form alert is displayed. The alert is displayed if any of the following apply:
- If on the FAFSA the student answers Yes to the question Is Student Married? and does not include a person in the household grid with a relationship of spouse
- Note: If the student's marital status is Separated this alert will still appear since the dependency question should be Yes but a spouse is not included in the household. In this instance, an update to the dependency question may not be needed.
- If on the FAFSA the student answers Yes to Have Children You Support? and does not include a household member with the relationship of child/step-child
- If on the FAFSA the student answers Yes to Have Dependents Other Than Children/Spouse? and does not include a household member with the relationship of other
- The alert will appear in the reverse also i.e. person included in the household grid but the corresponding dependency question is No
While the other alert boxes require the school user to make a choice from the options given, this alert is informational only. It is up to the school user to determine if corrections are needed based on their school's policies and procedures.
The alert displays a grid that shows the three Dependency Questions, information provided on the verification form and information provided on the FAFSA.
- Click View Household Form to view the verification webform to review the persons included in the household and their relationship to the student.
Following your school's policies and procedures to resolve the conflict if needed, the school user may do one of the following in StudentForms:
- Request additional documentation from the student using the Add+ button
- Reject the verification form to have the student correct the household grid
- Make corrections in Full File review based on the documentation received
StudentForms requires certain steps to be completed prior to the Complete Review or Approve/Deny buttons becoming available.
- All required documents must be in a reviewed status
- The Transaction Status must be in Reviewing File
- If the AGI Calculation or Select Document Set alerts are present an option was selected
- All ISIR fields in the Smart File review grid have a Status populated
- Click Complete Review/Approve/Deny button to finish the file review
- If ISIR corrections are required the transaction will move to Processing Corrections and a correction file is generated on the ISIR Corrections screen for download
- When approved - PJ EFC and PJ DO will always go into a Processing Corrections status. These transaction types automatically mark the appropriate ISIR fields that a PJ EFC or PJ DO was completed.
- If ISIR corrections are not required or PJ Appeal is Denied or other appeals are Approved/Denied, the transaction will move to a Verified status.
- Once the ISIR corrections are transmitted and the subsequent ISIR is imported into StudentForms, the transaction moves to Verified if there are no unexpected changes or additional student actionable tasks required.
After the Complete Review/Approve/Denied buttons are clicked, in the workflows, the student moves from Ready for Review to Review Completed.
V4 and V5 verification students have an additional step for the school user after the Complete Review button has been clicked. School users are required to report the verification result for Identity, Statement of Educational Purpose, and High School Completion (only 2021-2022 and prior).
- Click Please select an option dropdown to select the appropriate option:
- For 2022-2023 for the results of Identity verification
- For 2021-2022 the results of High School Completion and Identity verification
- Click the Save button to save Verification Result
- The reported result will appear on the Identity Verification Results V4/V5 data export that can be used to update reporting in FAA Access to CPS Online.
- Click the Close button to cancel and return to the Review screen
- Note: Selecting a verification result is required as part of File Review completion and cannot be skipped.
Admin Override Button
Admin and Admin(limited) users may re-open a file review after the Complete Review or Approve/Deny/Rescind buttons have been clicked. This may be used if additional documentation is required or additional corrections need to be made prior to the correction file being transmitted. Re-opening a transaction will return it to the previous transaction status of Reviewing File.
- Click the Admin Override button to reopen file review into Reviewing File status
If the transaction required ISIR corrections, how the correction file is handled in StudentForms depends on when the admin override button is used.
- If the admin override is used prior to the correction file being batched and downloaded, the correction file is removed when the file is re-opened. Once the school completes the review again a new correction file is generated on the ISIR correction screen.
- If the correction file has already been batched, downloaded, and transmitted through EDConnect or TDClient, the school may receive the corrected ISIR transaction while the file is re-opened. The ISIR values should reflect the values on the corrected ISIR. Once the complete review button is selected again, another correction file will be generated if additional corrections are required.
Please Note: If the school has already transmitted a previous correction file, uses the admin override button, completes file review with different or additional corrections, once the corrected ISIR is received from the previous correction file it may re-open the file review due to unexpected corrections.