This release includes the new global Fresh Start Acknowledgment form for students and parents with defaulted loans.
Verification transactions created after today's release will include new tasks associated with students in default (comment codes 124, 132, 134*, 135, 136) and will now receive a new Fresh Start Acknowledgment form. The form will be able to be electronically signed and submitted to the school for review by the school. Schools will still need to collect and maintain the necessary documentation from NSLDS outside of StudentForms.
We know there are rare instances when a student with one of the above comment codes will have a defaulted loan not eligible through the Fresh Start program. However, the limited number of loans listed on the ISIR makes it impossible for StudentForms to identify these impacted students. CampusLogic has done its best to identify a solution that will work for most students and given the data available in the system.
CampusLogic has included some language within the help text to try and address this. When reviewing NSLDS, if you determine a student’s defaulted loans are not eligible for Fresh Start, you can request the necessary default clearance documentation through additional information.
New Additional Information Tasks
Three new documents will be added to additional information and can be manually requested by the institution if needed:
- Fresh Start Acknowledgment (webform)
- Located in the Verification transaction, triggers for the student with the aforementioned c codes and may be manually requested.
- Parent Fresh Start Acknowledgment (webform)
- Located in the Other Documents transaction, as it is not required to complete the Verification transaction.
- Fresh Start Acknowledgment (non-webform)
- This is a downloadable version of the acknowledgment and will most commonly be used for parents with defaulted loans and is located in the Other Documents transaction, as it is not required to complete the Verification transaction.
Transaction Clean Up
For transactions created before the release tasks associated with comment codes 124, 132, 134, 135, and 136, schools will need to review the open transactions and make adjustments as needed. If the previous default clearance task is no longer necessary, the institution may waive it and manually add the appropriate additional information request for a Fresh Start acknowledgment. You can use the outstanding student task report within StudentForms to identify the students and tasks that need to be reviewed.
If an institution would like to collect a Fresh Start Acknowledgment for a Parent PLUS borrower, they can manually add the Fresh Start Acknowledgment that is a download upload indicate in the note to the student who needs to complete the form.
*Students with a comment code 134 will receive two sub-tasks, one for the Fresh Start Acknowledgment and one for grant overpayment.